Monday, November 3, 2008

More on Marketing During a Recession

In this week's column I wrote about the importance of advertising, public relations and other forms of marketing when the economy is not doing so well. What inspired me to write the column was a conversation I had with a prospective client and another I had with an existing client. Both gave me the impression, in regard to their current marketing intentions, that they intended to "shut 'er down" for the time being. Not smart, in my opinion. Unless you are able to survive on the orders of existing customers for months, you need to be getting your company in front of prospective new customers—even if they don't currently have the dollars to do business with you. Eventually, they will have the dollars and they will remember you, especially if you target them in a highly personalized manner.

One of my readers, Malcolm McPherson from Power Save Solutions, responded to my column and had this to say, "If potential clients don't know who you are or what you do, how can you expect them to come to you? Success stories are usually penned by those who scream from the rooftops. A terrible thing will happen if you do not promote your business...NOTHING!"

Finally, Malcolm offered this gem: "Doing business without promotion is like winking at a girl in the dark; you know you are doing it, but nobody else does!"

One final thought: If you are reading this on Tuesday, November 5, get out and vote. You will be glad you did.

No comments: